• Suzanne Metzger, CPA, CVA, joined The Grupp Law Firm, PLLC. Metzger puts her tax, accounting and valuation expertise to work for businesses and individuals as a part of the firm’s business exit planning and strategic business planning practice. Her work supports traditional and complex tax planning vehicles and facilitates sophisticated transfer of wealth solutions. Prior to joining the Grupp Law Firm, Metzger was a tax services manager at Magnuson, McHugh & Company, P.A., in Coeur d’Alene. She graduated summa cum laude from Eastern Washington University in 2001 with a B.A. in business administration and professional accounting. Metzger may be reached at 665-4600 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
• R. Bruce Owens, founding partner of the law firm of Owens & Crandall in Hayden, was recently selected to be included in the 2010 edition of The Best Lawyers in America as well as a separate publication called the Mountain States Super Lawyers. Both of these organizations base there selection on peer review and professional achievement. Fewer than 2 percent of Idaho lawyers have been selected by both organizations.
• Massage therapist Bruce Kitchen, formerly with the Highlands Day Spa, is now at Caribbean Tan at 5624 Government Way. He is trained in all forms of massage, including Swedish, pregnancy, deep tissue, acupressure, trigger point and feet. Kitchen works by appointment, with walk-ins welcome as well. Information: 772-3907
• The Greater Sandpoint Chamber of Commerce named Kate McAlister as president and chief executive officer, effective Aug. 9. She brings more than 20 years of corporate program development and marketing experience to the chamber. McAlister received her community investment education from Boston College Center for Corporate Citizenship, Caroll School of Business and participated in an international leadership committee to develop standards for the Community Investment Program. Prior to joining the chamber, McAlister acquired experience and education in her position as corporate community investment manager at Itron, Inc. in Spokane.
• Avista Utilities has named Lamont Miles district manager for St. Maries, effective June 29. In his new role, Miles will oversee project coordination and community involvement on behalf of Avista in the St. Maries area. Miles has been with Avista since 2003, joining the company as an engineer. Since then, he has been a member of the company’s global information system (GIS) group, worked in the transmission and operations areas, and briefly served as the operations manager in Avista’s Othello, Wash., office.
• Martin Fleck has joined the planning and market research staff at JP Stravens/Planning Associates in Coeur d’Alene. Fleck is a graduate of the University of Washington and has considerable experience with the new G.I.S. data systems. He arrived in Coeur d’Alene after working in Washington, D.C. as coordinator for a national organization where he used Internet-based tools to build a nationwide network.
• New officers have been elected by nearly 200 members of the IAPA to serve on the board of directors for the Idaho Association of Public Accountants for the 2010-2011 fiscal year. The new officers and directors were installed by Robert Cross, president of the National Society of Accountants during the closing banquet of the annual bi-state convention with the Oregon Association of Independent Accountants and the Idaho Association of Public Accountants held in Lincoln City, Ore., on June 18. Officers from North Idaho elected for one-year terms are Jane Kuetemeyer, CPA, Hayden, second vice president and Wilma Christensen, EA, ABA, ATP, ATA, Harrison, named IAPA District I director.
• North Idaho College Adult Basic Education/GED Director Rex Fairfield recently earned a national certification in adult education and literacy. After two years in the Leadership Excellence Academy’s intensive training program, Fairfield is now a certified manager in program improvement (CMPI).
• Austin Storhaug recently joined Durtschi & Associates/Storhaug Engineering Inc. as a civil engineer. He is a recent Magna Cum Laude graduate of Washington State University with a Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering. He previously worked as an engineering intern and AutoCAD designer at Storhaug Engineering. Durtschi & Associates/Storhaug Engineering Inc., offers civil engineering, surveying, landscape architecture and land use planning in the Pacific Northwest from its offices in Spokane and Hayden.
• Frances Mueller, US Bank branch manager at 6376 Government Way in Coeur d’Alene, has won the bank’s annual Pinnacle and Top Tier award, the company’s highest consumer banking employee achievement honor. She was in the top 1 percent of retail managers throughout the country. She has worked in the financial industry for 12 years and this is her first annual pinnacle award. Jill Andrews, a financial adviser for US Bancorp Investments and Insurance who works at the same branch won the president’s award. Both were recognized at a dinner honoring them for their service achievements.
• Chelsea Rosenberger was elected to serve as chairwoman of the Young Professional’s Initiative for the International Association of Fairs and Expositions. The IAFE is a voluntary, nonprofit corporation based in Springfield, Mo., organizing fairs and exhibitions internationally. Rosenberger serves as the sponsorship and special events coordinator for the North Idaho Fair and Rodeo and Kootenai County Events Center.
• Life Care Center of Coeur d’Alene, a skilled nursing and rehabilitation facility, hired a new executive director, Steve Holloway.Holloway was previously an administrator in a skilled nursing and in an assisted living facility in Coeur d’Alene for a total of 12 years. He is returning to the area after serving as executive director at Life Care Center of Treasure Valley in Boise. Life Care Center of Coeur d’Alene, located at 500 West Aqua Ave., is one of eight facilities in Idaho operated by Life Care Centers of America. For more information about Life Care, visit www.lcca.com.
• The Idaho Division of Tourism announced the reappointment of JJ Jaeger to the Idaho Travel Council (ITC). Jaeger, of The Coeur d’Alene Resort, has been reappointed to the Idaho Travel Council as the Region 1 representative. Jaeger’s term is now extended through 2013. Growing Idaho’s economy by increasing visitor expenditures throughout the state is the goal of the Idaho Travel Council and the Tourism Development Division. Tourism contributes more than $3 billion to the state economy. The Idaho Travel Council is an eight-member, private-sector advisory board appointed by the governor.
• Gary Briant joined Durtschi & Associates, a division of Storhaug Engineering Inc., as a professional land surveyor. Briant has more than 38 years of experience, of which 25 are as a project or survey office manager. He is currently licensed in Washington, Idaho, Montana and is a certified federal surveyor. He is serving as the current President of the Idaho Society of Professional Land Surveyors. He is a member of the Land Surveyors Association of Washington and the Montana Association of Registered Land Surveyors. His expertise covers a broad range of experience from general land surveys, major highways, land development projects, bridges and mining claims. Durtschi & Associates has offices in Hayden and Spokane.
• Kathy Holmes, Physical Therapist will be an instructor for the Fit and Fall Proof Program, offered through Panhandle Health District. The Fit and Fall Proof Program is an exercise-based fall prevention program for older adults available throughout Idaho.Kathy, a physical therapist in North Idaho for 18 years, currently works for In Touch Physical Therapy in Post Falls, providing outpatient care for a diverse patient population. Information about Fit and Fall Proof classes can be found on the Panhandle Health District Website.
• Justin Rader, DDS, has joined Fullwiler Dental in Coeur d’Alene. Rader is a graduate of University of the Pacific Dental School, Boise State University and Coeur d’Alene High School, and is an Iraqi war veteran. He will specialize in family/children’s dentistry, after-hours dental emergencies, Invisalign, crowns, bridges and tooth-colored fillings. He is currently welcoming new patients.
• A lifetime resident of North Idaho has opened a new insurance office in Coeur d’Alene. The Toni Caywood Agency is an American Family Insurance office now open at 7905 N. Meadowlark Way, Suite E. Caywood, who has been insurance licensed in the state of Idaho since 2000 and recently obtained her Washington reciprocal license, offers insurance coverage for auto, home, life, business and farm and ranch. Caywood has also worked in the banking, mortgage and real estate fields. She is an active member of the Kiwanis Club of Coeur d’Alene as past secretary, vice president, and president and current board member. She also has two licensed assistants, Shelly Lovdahl and Tricia Ludwig. Information: 277-9227; fax 763-3230; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
• Hanson Wins National Award from Northwestern Mutual
Coeur D’ Alene based Northwestern Mutual financial representative Paul Hanson received the company’s EMERALD Award at the company’s 130th Annual Meeting Milwaukee on July 27. The award recognizes Hanson’s exceptional efforts to help clients achieve financial security, based on production.
“In Coeur D’ Alene, Paul led the way this year, helping hundreds of clients revisit their financial security options,” said Northwestern Mutual Executive Vice President Todd M. Schoon. “Today, in Coeur D’ Alene and around the country, the importance of a long-term financial strategy is crystal clear, and financial professionals like Paul have never been more valuable.”
• Architects West names Matt Knoll as Client Development Director
Architects West announced today the hiring of Matt Knoll as their Client Development Director. Matt will be responsible for business development and long-term relationship management throughout Architects West’s market region of Washington, Idaho, Montana and Oregon. While the position is new for Architects West, Matt comes with 7 years of industry experience within the Inland Northwest. Prior work experience spans Commercial Construction and Architecture, including both Marketing and Business Development. Having graduated from Whitworth University in 2003, Matt holds a BA in Business Management along with a BA in Communications. For additional information, contact: Kim Homdrom at email@example.com or (208) 667-9402
• Hecla Mining Company appointed Mélanie Hennessey to vice president — investor relations. In this role, Hennessey will be the primary liaison between Hecla and its investors, analysts and the financial community globally.
Hennessey will be based in Hecla’s office in Vancouver, B.C., and will begin work on Sept. 7.
• Dr. Dan Cullum, DDS of Coeur d’Alene recently participated in the Academy of Osseointegration’s Silver Anniversary Summit: Impact of Biological and Technological Advances on Implant Dentistry in Chicago.